Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Dog days of summer






These last few warm summer days are wonderful aren't they. Down at the plot there are things buzzing everywhere. There was some sort of mass bee event in town today as well, swarms moving around and looking for somewhere new to be.

I haven't been at the allotment much lately, and it shows. There is much work to be done. I picked two enormous tromboncino squashes. They're summer squashes and I use them like courgettes, so they were a bit big to be useful and ended up on the compost heap. I feel less guilty about that having seen Monty Don compost his excess produce.

I finally grew a smattering of rudbeckias this year (the second photo). This one's rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy". I may have grown it just for the name. Although that colour is one of my very favourite in the garden. Some of the cosmos turned out to be white after all - you may remember my packet had some bright pink ones in it by mistake. They are still flowering happily in the garden.

I pottered around out there today, weeding and fiddling with pots. I'd like to get the allotment sorted before winter really. I didn't last year and it made a big difference. If I can clear it and get weedproof membrane down it will be a good start to the season. The trick is to do it before the soil gets too wet to walk on.

I might leave some of the plot covered next year and work on a smaller area. It will fit better with my time constraints. I have two enormous gooseberry bushes and a big blackcurrant bush that I'd quite like removed, but as it would be an absolutely mammoth (and painful) job I shall no doubt leave them. They are doing quite a good job of suppressing the weeds.

I hope everyone is enjoying this last blast of summer. Wishing all a good weekend. CJ xx

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar