Personally, I consider the actual probability that four Chinese and two Iraqis are coming to Boston to set off a dirty bomb to be in the general vicinity of the probability that an asteroid is going to hit City Hall this week. But I do know this with 100% certainty:
- 13,000 children in Massachusetts are lead poisoned every year;
- A baby dies in Massachusetts once a day, on average;
- Somebody dies of HIV/AIDS in Massachusetts once a day, on average;
- 2 people die in Massachusetts in car crashes on an average day;
- 1 person takes his or her own life in Massachusetts every day, on average;
- 4 people die from other causes of injury, often on the job, on an average day in Massachusetts;
- 4 people die every day from diabetes in Massachusetts, most of them from Type 2 diabetes which is completely preventable;
- 10 people die from stroke, 38 from cancer, and 40 from heart disease, every day. Many of those deaths are premature -- they could have been prevented;
- About 150 people are murdered in Massachusetts every year;
I don't see the Governor flying home to do something about any of this, I don't see the Mayor calling press conferences, and I don't see the headlines. Oh yeah, maybe I do see headlines for the murders, though I don't see any thoughtful consideration of why homicides happen.
Well, nothing more to say on this, except that Massachusetts is one of the healthiest states, with a comparatively low rate of premature mortality. I don't think those dirty bombers are going to change that, even if they do show up and do their worst. But the stupidity of our leaders and our mass media might.

0 Yorumlar